I. Why change the logo?
Changing the logo is a way to update the image of the business and meet the requirements of the market. Some common reasons for a logo change include:
- Update your brand image: A new logo can help your brand become more relevant to the tastes of your customers.
- Change your business strategy: Changing your logo can reflect a change in your business strategy.
- Adapt to new trends: Changing your logo can help your business become relevant to new market trends.
II. Note when changing logo:
- Do technical research: Before making a logo change, you need to do a technical study to make sure that the new logo matches the requirements of your business and customers.
- Ensure brand consistency: The new logo needs to be consistent with the business's existing brand and reflect the brand's values.
- Ensure uniqueness: The new logo needs to be unique, not duplicated with the logos of other brands.
- Make an advertising campaign: After making a logo change, you need to do an advertising campaign to introduce the new logo to your customers.
- Website and document updates: The new logo needs to be updated on the business website, promotional materials and internal documents to ensure consistency in the brand image.
- Make changes gradually: Logo changes need to be done gradually to avoid affecting customer perception of your brand. You can keep the old logo for a while and gradually switch to the new logo.
- Keep in touch with customers: Changing the logo can cause resentment among customers if they are used to the old logo of the business. Therefore, you need to stay in touch with your customers to explain why and help them better understand your new logo.
- Ensure uniformity: The new logo needs to be in sync with other brand elements such as slogans, colors, fonts to create a consistent and synchronized brand image.
- Keep the identity: The new logo needs to keep the identity of the brand so that customers can easily recognize and associate with your brand.
- Do Reviews and Adjustments: After you've made changes to your logo, you'll need to perform reviews and adjustments to ensure that the new logo meets the needs of your business and customers.
In short, changing the logo is an important process in the brand development of the business. However, to make a successful logo change, you need to follow the above notes to ensure consistency and synchronization in your brand image.
Cases in which the company successfully changed its logo
There are many cases where the company has successfully implemented a logo change, which enhances the brand image and attracts the attention of customers. Here are some typical cases:
- Apple: Apple is one of the companies with a globally recognizable logo. However, in 1997, Apple decided to change its logo from a complex logo to a simple logo with apples cut into half circles. This change helped strengthen Apple's identity and laid the basis for the brand's growth to this day.
- Coca-Cola: Coca-Cola is one of the most famous brands in the world and their logo has remained the same for over 100 years. However, in 1985, Coca-Cola decided to change the logo and the new confectionery product was called New Coke. However, this change was not welcomed by customers and later, Coca-Cola reverted to the old logo and changed the new product name to Coca-Cola Classic.
- Mastercard: With the new logo introduced in 2019, Mastercard made a significant logo change by removing the handwriting in the old logo and focusing on the two red and yellow circles. This change enhances Mastercard's identity and sends a new message about the connection and interaction between users and brands.
- Airbnb: Airbnb is one of the most successful companies in the sharing space. In 2014, the company changed its logo from the old logo with a full house image and the bold Airbnb lettering to a new logo with a simple decorative image and the word Airbnb with a special font. This change helps increase brand awareness and gives a new message about a different and unique travel experience.
- Pepsi: Pepsi is one of the brands that confronts Coca-Cola in the beverage sector. In 2008, Pepsi changed the logo from the old logo with the bold handwritten Pepsi to a new logo with a simpler and more modern design of Pepsi. This change helps Pepsi create a new brand image, more in line with modern and youthful trends.
- Google: Google has made many logo changes throughout its development. However, Google's most famous logo change was in 2015, when the company changed the logo from the old logo with a serif font to a new logo with a simpler and friendlier sans-serif font. This change enhances Google's identity and sends a new message about the functionality, speed, and convenience of Google's search service.
All of the above cases show that changing the logo can help strengthen the brand's identity and give a new message about the growth and change of the business. However, to make a successful logo change, a business needs to adhere to design principles and be consistent with its brand image.
Companies that change their logos successfully in Vietnam
- Vietnam Airlines: In 2015, Vietnam Airlines changed the logo from the old logo with the image of seven colors of the rainbow and the word "Vietnam Airlines" placed across the logo to a new logo with the image of a flying swallow and the word "Vietnam Airlines" newly designed. This change enhances the identity of Vietnam Airlines and delivers a new message about the airline's growth and innovation.
- Viettel: In 2018, Viettel changed its logo from the old logo with the image of a map of Vietnam and the word "Viettel" in red to a new logo with a digital image of "V" and the word "Viettel" in blue. This change enhances Viettel's identity and gives a new message about technology's advancement and innovation.
- BIDV: In 2019, BIDV changed the logo from the old logo with the image of a bridge and the word "BIDV" in red to a new logo with the image of a wave and the word "BIDV" in blue. This change enhances BIDV's identity and delivers a new message about the bank's progress and development.
- Masan Group: In 2020, Masan Group has changed the logo from the old logo with the image of a star and the word "Masan" in red to a new logo with the image of a bee and the word "Masan" in green. This change enhances the identity of Masan Group and sends a new message about progress and innovation in the field of food production.
- Vinamilk: In 2021, Vinamilk changed the logo from the old logo with the image of a horse and the word “Vinamilk” in red to a new logo with the image of a cow and the word “Vinamilk” in blue. This change enhances Vinamilk's identity and sends a message