A brand name is a unique name used to represent a business brand or product. The brand name often accompanies the logo and reflects the value and impression the brand wants to convey to the customer. Brand names also help distinguish your products or services from competitors and are an important factor in the process of building and developing your brand.
Suggestions on how to name a brand for your business
1. According to the founder
The founder's name can be used to name the brand. Examples are Toyota (after founder Sakichi Toyoda), Chanel (after founder Coco Chanel), or Adidas (after founder Adolf Dassler).
2. Use your name and industry
The name of the founder can be combined with the industry of the business to name the brand. Examples are McDonald's (after founders Richard and Maurice McDonald), or Ford (after founder Henry Ford).
3. Name your brand alphabetically
Use the first letter of the word in the brand name. Examples are HP (Hewlett-Packard) or DHL (Dalsey, Hillblom, and Lynn), BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke), KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken).
4. Brand name in English
Use a meaningful English word related to the product or core value of the business such as Nike - winning prodigy or Intel - intelligence, VinFast – Vietnamese Fast and Furious, VietJet Air – Joyful flights to Vietnam
5. According to color
- Red Bull: This brand name is taken from the red color of the Red Bull beverage can.
- Gray Goose: this brand name is taken from the gray color of a duck called Gray Goose, which is used to make vodka.
- Brown Brothers: this brand name is taken from the brown color of grapes, the main ingredient of the product.
6. According to the shape
- Toblerone: this brand name is taken from the shape of the three peaks of the Matterhorn in Switzerland, which is also the location where Toblerone products are manufactured.
- Twitter: this brand name is taken from the Twitter bird shape which is the symbol of the product.
- Pepsi: this brand name is taken from the round shape of beverage cans
7. According to the name of the region, geography
Referring to a place name, the name of a region or the names of famous places and places, for example Ha Long Bay Beer, Ho Chi Minh City Coffee, Sapa Tea, Hanoi Shoes
8. By business field
Use words or phrases related to the industry or product, for example Coffee World, Pizza Hut, Hanoi Pho, Hue Bread, Hoi An Travel, Halong Bay Cruise
9. By numbers
- 99 Mart: this brand name uses the number 99 to express competitiveness and value to customers.
- 365 Delivery: this brand name describes 24/7, year-round delivery service.
- 1001 Bookstore: this brand name implies offering a huge number of books to customers.
- 888 Tea House: this brand name uses the number 888 to refer to luck, wealth and prosperity.
10. By year of establishment
- EST. 1998: Use the year of establishment to create credibility and affirm the brand that has existed for a long time.
- Since 1985: Use the character "since" to describe the year of establishment, creating the impression of a long-standing and prestigious brand.
- 1990 Originals: Use the year of establishment and the word “originals” to differentiate and stand out.
- Founded in 2004: Use the phrase “founded in” to describe the year it was founded and evoke the sophistication and prestige of the brand.
11. According to compound words
- GreenLife: The combination of the word "green" to describe environmental friendliness and "life" to describe the product value for a meaningful life.
- SunBite: The combination of the word "sun" to describe a product related to sunlight and "bite" to describe a product that can be eaten, creating closeness to customers.
- AquaFuse: The combination of the word “aqua” to describe a product related to water and “fuse” to describe the connection between the product and the user.
- TechWorld: A combination of the word “tech” to represent expertise and “world” to describe the size and scope of the business.
12. According to the place of production
- Saigon Foods: Use the name of the city of Saigon to describe food products produced in the Saigon area.
- Hanoi Handicrafts: Use the name of Hanoi city to describe handicraft products produced in the Hanoi area.
- Central Highlands Coffee: Use the name of the Central Highlands to describe coffee products produced in this area.
- Mekong Delta Rice: Use the land name of the Mekong Delta to describe the rice products produced in this area.
13. According to the material
- Silk Delight: The word “silk” to describe the product using silk material and the word “delight” to describe the feeling of satisfaction and satisfaction as when using the product.
- LeatherWorks: The word “leather” to describe the product using leather and the word “works” to describe the handcrafted and artistic nature of the product.
- LinenLux: The word “linen” to describe the product uses linen material and the word “lux” to describe the high-class and luxurious nature of the product.
- Bamboo Breeze: The word “bamboo” to describe the product using bamboo material and the word “breeze” to describe the feeling of coolness and relaxation when using the product.
14. Following freedom
- ImagineWorks: The word “imagine” to describe the ability to imagine and create and the word “works” to describe the nature of the product.
- Maverick Creations: The word “maverick” to describe the individuality and like no other and the word “creations” to describe the craft and creativity of the product.
- Freestyle Innovations: The word “freestyle” to describe the freedom and independence in product development and the word “innovations” to describe the innovation of the product.
- Infinity Creations: The word “infinity” to describe the infinite and unlimited and the word “creations” to describe the craft and creativity of the product
15. According to target customer preferences and product properties
- Adventure Outfitters: The word “adventure” to describe the love of adventure and the word “outfitters” to describe the nature of the product.
- Pet Paradise: The word “pet” to describe a hobby with pets and the word “paradise” to describe a wonderful place or paradise for your pet.
- Artisanal Delights: The word “artisanal” to describe the love for handmade products and the word “delights” to describe the special and attractive nature of the product.
- Fitness Fanatics: The word “fitness” to describe the love of sports and health and the word “fanatics” to describe the enthusiastic and passionate nature of the target customer group.
Note when naming the brand
- Market research and assessment: It is necessary to study the market and competitors to determine the position of your brand.
- Identify core values: To determine the right brand name, it is necessary to identify the core values that the business wants to convey to customers.
- Come up with brand name ideas: Search for ideas by researching keywords, slogans, or looking at ways to describe your products or services.
- Take a poll: Conduct a poll with potential customers to gather opinions and reviews on ideas.
- Choosing a brand name: In line with business values, easy to remember and suitable for target customers.
Branding is a process that often takes time and creativity. You need to be careful and think twice before deciding on the name of the business. The most appropriate brand name should depend on the context, target audience and values of the business